We are proud of the many accomplishments of our district. The breadth and quality of opportunities – in all areas including academics, arts, sports and clubs – are why so many families move here. But there is more to be done. We must continue to raise the expectations and outcomes for all our students, from the most advanced learners to those who struggle. The three of us have joined to run for the Board of Education because we share a set of core beliefs and a vision of educational excellence that will inspire all students to reach their potential. This must be achieved through continuous improvement focused on great teaching and rich, exciting curricula. At the same time we are keenly aware that we must be strategic about how we use our resources to accomplish this vision in a manner that is sensitive to the tax burden.
A Record of Progress
Over the last several years our school district has made measurable progress toward realizing this vision. Together, we have witnessed test scores improving steadily, the achievement gap narrowing while raising the performance of the highest achievers, more students taking college-level Advanced Placement courses, and hundreds of CHS graduates attending highly competitive colleges and universities. This progress didn’t happen overnight. It took a sustained commitment from the Board, dedicated leadership, and collaboration with teachers and administrators over many years. Those efforts include:
- Ensuring the curriculum is more rigorous, coherent and consistent from school to school
- Adopting the International Baccalaureate’s Middle Years Programme coupled with a thoughtful and thorough implementation
- Paving the way for technology to be used across all subjects to help meet the needs of every student
- Embracing the Common Core State Standards and capitalizing on the fact that our district is well underway in implementing them
- Providing teachers with opportunities to collaborate and share best practices to meet the needs of every student
- Working to include professional development in the daily school schedule to help teachers deal with real-world challenges
It Takes Great Leadership
So, why us? We come from different places, different social circumstances and very different career paths, but as a team, we bring a unique combination of relevant experience and fresh insights, both essential to guiding our district. Stephanie understands education and the needs of children, and has experience in organizational process and governance. Beth and David have provided effective leadership during their time on the Board and have proven their ability to make significant changes throughout the school system that benefit all of our students. Together, with a strong vision, clear goals, and the right balance of accountability and partnership with our administrators, teachers and parents, we will build on these improvements and maintain the focus on excellence for all students.